Change Language
wds-media
  • Home
  • Betting
T20 Blast Finals Day Prediction: Back the Hawks to become four-time Champions

T20 Blast Finals Day Prediction: Back the Hawks to become four-time Champions

T20 Finals Day has come early this year and the northern sides are all remaining at home to watch. Our Yorkshire correspondent was down to cover the preview but with no sides north of Essex taking part, our resident native southern softie gets the call up to take a look at the games…

Essex vs Hampshire Betting Tips:

• Back Hampshire to Win at 8/15
  • Back John Turner to be the Hawks Top Wicket Taker at 4/1

As I sit here in my office in Greater Manchester, the lights are on and the weather is inclement to put it mildly. This rain is expected to continue so a heavily rain affected day at Edgbaston is on the cards and that will have a significant effect on how everything could play out.

In the opening semi-final, defending champions Hampshire are 8/15 favourites to down Essex for the third time this season. A James Vince masterclass at Fortress Chelmsford led the Hawks to an easy victory in that game but at the AGEAS, the visitors scored north of 200 but another strong captain’s knock ably assisted by James Fuller and Benny Howell meant the home side chased down their biggest total in the history of the tournament.

Hampshire have an extremely settled side with only the fitness of Ben McDermott seemingly an issue. The Australian wicketkeeper opens the batting with Vince and they’ve forged a strong bond and play with each other well. He missed the Quarter-Final with a back spasm but hope is that he’ll have recovered in time.

As for Essex, they snuck into the knockout stages and then promptly went and beat the top side from the north to secure their place at Edgbaston. Australian quick Daniel Sams is a key man with bat and ball and everyone around the scene knows that if the pitch is spinning, you don’t want to have to attack Simon Harmer.

With the weather looking iffy and the ball potentially doing plenty, I’m backing Chris Wood, John Turner, Nathan Ellis and James Fuller to excel. The fact Turner is 4/1 to be the Hawks top wicket taker in this match is baffling. He was the top wildcard pick for The Hundred and has been a revelation.

Somerset vs Surrey Betting Tips:

• Back Somerset to Win at 8/11
  • Back Lewis Gregory to be Somerset’s Top Wicket Taker at 4/1

Moving on to the second game which on paper is an absolute corker. Somerset have been the best side in the group stage and it hasn’t really been close. Surrey though are also a mighty fine side and when they are on-song, I’m not sure anyone can beat them. The problem they’ve had so far this summer however is when they are bad, they are really off their game.

When the market first opened early in the week, both teams were 10/11 as the traders and punters couldn’t split them. Now however Somerset have moved in to 8/11 with Surrey 21/20 following the news that Sunil Narine will not return as planned and will instead be playing cricket in the USA. This is a huge blow for Alec Stewart’s side as whilst his batting hasn’t hit its usual heights this season, he’s been very good with the ball.

It puts a bit more pressure on the top of the order. Will Jacks and Laurie Evans have both had stellar seasons having combined for a tick over 1,000 runs so far. Sam Curran as well will have to be sharp with bat and ball.

Looking at the Somerset line-up however would send shivers down the spine of many a bowling attack. Tom Kohler-Cadmore has been superb striking at 171.20 with Tom Banton also hitting north of one-and-a-half runs per ball at 156.06. Will Smeed trumps them both at 179.27, so it is fair to say that they have the batting talent at the top of the order to take the game away.

In the first game I found a 4/1 pick I liked in the prop markets and I’ve done so again here. The pitch could easily have plenty of nip and Lewis Gregory is the man to exploit those conditions. I like him to be the top wicket taker for Somerset at that price and I’m leaning that his side will win at 8/11.

Obviously I’m writing this preview before the two semi-finals have taken place but I’ve said all year long that Somerset are the best team. Nothing has changed my mind and the 9/4 is a fair price on them lifting the trophy. However, Give me my Hampshire Hawks at 5/2 because they know how to win and I think that the Somerset vs Surrey game will be a thriller and take plenty out of whoever wins.

The post T20 Blast Finals Day Prediction: Back the Hawks to become four-time Champions appeared first on Betfred Blog.

Denmark vs Serbia Prediction: Hosts can edge another win

Denmark vs Serbia Prediction: Hosts can edge another win

Read More